This book presents 14 authentic extracts from modern and classical literature, each exploring a different theme, taken from the best of English authors and novels:
- Bridget Jones’ Diary by Helen Fielding
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
- About a Boy by Nick Hornby
- The Time Machine by H G Wells
- The Beach by Alex Garland
- The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
- A Passage to India by E M Forster
- The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole aged 13¾ by Sue Townsend
- The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
- Hotel du Lac by Anita Brookner
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
- Dombey and Son by Charles Dickens
- The Millstone by Margaret Drabble
- Captain Corelli’s Mandolin by Louis de Bernières.
The extracts are followed by exercises. These give a wide variety of language practice, such as reading comprehension, vocabulary exercises, discussion activities, role-play, and composition topics, gap fill exercises. They help develop reading skills, summary techniques and stylistic appreciation for the Cambridge CAE and CPE examinations.
All the extracts are read aloud on the accompanying audio component.
With teaching notes and answer keys.
Packed weight: 344 gms.
Photocopiable Book with CD
Scholastic ELT, 2011 (Reprint).
A4 format, 88 pages.
You might also like:
Extracts: English Fiction for Advanced Students
A collection of literary extracts from 14 major English novels that span nearly 200 years, accompanied by photocopiable language exploitation pages.
Extensive Reading' is the ideal companion for teachers who would like to add the substantial benefits of extensive reading to their language programmes.